Promoting local food purchases for food assistance on the African continent—Purchase from Africans for Africa (PAA Africa)
The Purchase from Africans for Africa (PAA Africa) programme was an innovative development cooperation initiative that sought to combine support to agricultural production with institutional food procurement. The programme was piloted in five African countries—Ethiopia, Malawi, Mozambique, Niger and Senegal— jointly by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the World Food Programme (WFP) and partner national governments. The programme matched the food demand of schools and other public institutions with the local agricultural supply from smallholders and farmers’ organisations. PAA Africa received support from the Brazilian government and was inspired by lessons learned from the Brazilian institutional demand programmes: the Food Acquisition Programme (Programa de Aquisição de Alimentos—PAA) and the National School Feeding Programme (Programa Nacional de Alimentação Escolar—PNAE). The IPC-IG was responsible for leading the M&E activities related to this project.
Sub-Saharan AfricaEthiopia , Malawi , Mozambique , Niger , Senegal
Other Thematic Areas
Sustainable Development Goals
Under the scope of this project, the Centre, in addition to delivering all the outputs, undertook the following activities in 2017:
• Presentation of the PAA Africa M&E system and the first M&E results at the workshop ‘Dialogues on the Brazilian South–South Cooperation: Monitoring & Evaluation’ organised by the BRICS Policy Center, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on 27 January 2017 (via Skype)
• Presentation: ‘Phase II of the PAA Africa Programme in Mozambique: monitoring results’ at the workshop ‘National Consultation on PRONAE/ PAA: Lessons and design of the HGSF model’, organised by the PAA Africa Programme, in Maputo, Mozambique, 20–21 March 2017
• Publication of a Working Paper titled ‘Implementation of decentralised food procurement programmes and the impact of the policy, institutional and legal enabling environment: the case of PRONAE and PAA Africa in Mozambique’ and the associated One Pager ‘Building a favourable environment for institutional food procurement programmes: contributions from Mozambique’, both produced in partnership with the FAO
• Publication of the Working Paper titled ‘Fostering food purchase programmes in widespread poverty contexts: targeting smallholders within the PAA Africa in Niger’ and its companion One Pager ‘PAA Africa targeting in Niger’, also produced in partnership with the FAO
• Publication of the Working Pager ‘Targeting farmers in institutional procurement programmes: case study of the PAA Africa Programme in Senegal’ and its accompanying One Pager ‘Institutional food procurement programmes: the case of PAA Africa in Senegal’, produced in partnership with the FAO
• Publication of the One Pager ‘Phase II of the PAA Africa programme: results and lessons learned’.
See the publications below.